The annual Winter concert was presented by the haumana of Ke Kula Mele School of Hawaiian Music at the Windward Mall on December 26, 2011. The concert featured a collection of traditional Hawaiian songs, Christmas carols, and some "fun" songs such as "Menehune Beach Bum Boogie," "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride," and the theme from Hawaii 5-0. A steel guitar ensemble featuring eleven steel guitarists performed an arrangement of Makalapua.
Drag mouse over thumbnails and click to select picture or use controls for slideshow.
- Part of the steel guitar line from left: Clement Villanueva, Earl Ng, and Mike Santa Maria.
- The Windward Mall skylight above center stage.
- The Ke Kula Mele Hawaiʻi banner.
- The bass line with Joe McGinn, Haunani Thomas, and Lance Hylaner.
- Ke Kula Mele Hawaiʻi haumana get ready for the concert.
- Kuapapa makes an announcement as Kumu Alan Akaka adjusts a mic stand.
- T.J.ʻs turn to announce as Kuapana, Jorden and Kumu Alan Akaka stand by.
- Now itʻs Jordenʻs turn at the mic.
- Summer makes an announcement as Sid Pang adjustments his steel guitar.
- Kumu Alan Akaka with the featured keiki steel guitarists Mikaela, Raven and Alexis.
- Joy Lin, Griffin, and Trinity.
- Byron, Summer, Willie, Ron Tolentino, Tiffani, Christina, Sean, Jorden, Kuapapa, and Nālani.
- Kumu Alan Akaka, Gale Warshawsky, and Henry Wassman III (in red) sing along with the haumana.
- Keen makes an announcement.
- Trinityʻs strumming technique.
- Sid Pang at the steel guitar.
- Front: Nālani and Joy Lin. Rear: Kuapapa and Nahoa.
- Leroy Ne, Kamakana, Liam, Addison Ching, Gale Warshawsky, and Henry Wassman III.
- Griffin hard at work.
- Chaelle offers a song while Keen stands by on the steel guitar.
- Now itʻs Keenʻs turn at the steel guitar.
- Next up: Quincy Makaʻawaʻawa.
- Gale Warshawsky singing a mele.
- Sean, Jorden, Joe McGinn, Kuapapa, and Trinity.
- Steel guitarists Clement Villanueva and Earl Ng.
- Steel guitarists Keen, Chaelle, and Sid.
- Clement and Earl.
- Jeremy Ah Chong sang and played the steel guitar.
- Joy Lin and Byron making announcements.
- The class of 2011.
- Kumu Alan Akaka, Christina, Mike Santa Maria, Clement Villanueva, Byron, Willie, and Earl Ng.
Back to Gallery
Photography courtesy of David Cunningham ©2011 by Ke Kula Mele Hawaii.